Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snowy Days, Happy Skin and Warmth

My daughter, some of our dear friends, and I built a snowman after a big snow fall.
I felt that perhaps he needed a little color amidst all the white.
It has been snowy day after snowy day here in New York City. Every week we seem to get a new, crazier blizzard or storm, and the salt stains on my favorite pair of weather-proof boots rise up like the layers you see in a canyon.

BRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Both my daughter's skin and mine have been drier than ever as the heater's have been cranked up to their hottest temperatures to keep us warm. For this I've been moisturizing us, sometimes twice daily, with Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion ($8.00 for 18 oz.), and I've also recently introduced a new humidifier into the home, the Walgreen's Warm Steam Vaporizer ($16). It's got a fantastic price, and is great for those like me who suffer from sinus issues. For soothing those really rough, super dry and itchy patches of skin, I still depend on Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream ($14.00 for 16 oz.), for both of us.

And, to digress slightly, when I can, I've been making the occasional stew to warm up my family's tummies from the inside. The newest dish I introduced into the dinner rotation was a rendition of Chicken Adobo, after being inspired by a New York Times article. And, I've been roasting lots of veggies (loving brussel sprouts). The way the high heat softens and sweetens everything that gets cooked, I barely have to coax my daughter to eat her daily greens!

After all, happy skin isn't just about adequate hydration. It's about healthy, wholesome eating too.

-N.C.

Disclaimer: Nuy Cho has no affiliation to any of the beauty companies mentioned on www.nuybeauty.com.

No comments: