Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Art of Subtraction

I remember when putting on make-up used to be a relaxing, creative outlet for me. On any given day I could’ve approached my vanity thinking: today I’m wearing a canary yellow top, so let’s do an emerald green eye shadow for contrast – and maybe I’ll add a nice, nude lip. Now with a demanding toddler pinching at my thighs and tugging at my jeans, making my face is suddenly a battle of wills. Not that I still don’t negotiate color schemes as I simultaneously baby-wrangle and make breakfast. I’ve just learned to modify the beauty process.

As a morning ritual, just like an a.m. coffee, I need old-fashioned cosmetics to reassure myself that I am indeed a female who takes care of herself. That bit of make-up, even if it's just a dab of brow pencil, reminds me every day that despite being on my hands and knees scrubbing bits of avocado and cheerios off the dining room floor, I can still look polished.

My vanity used to be an elaborate entity lush with eye-popping products, spanning the entire length of my dresser. Black lipstick? Check. Heated eyelash curler from Japan? Check. The famous false lashes made of real mink that Madonna flaunted? Absolutely.

Now, what’s left in plain sight are the bare essentials. Don’t get me wrong, I still own eyeshadows in every color of Crayola’s 64-piece set. And my brush collection is not to be messed with. But the excess was tossed out – bags of it. Coco Chanel's famous quote about dressing well also applies to make-up: "All you have to do is subtract.”

Stressed about getting all those definers, concealers, and liners on your face? Pick one feature to highlight, whether it’s your lips, brows, cheeks, whatever. Throw out all the make-up you haven’t touched in over six months with the dirty diapers and I promise, it’ll be that much easier to walk out the door with your beauty intact and a few extra minutes in your day.


Subtract 1-2-3:

1) An Easy Red Lip (Allure.com)

2) Great Brows (Instyle.com)

3) Perfect Winter Blush (Stylehive.com)

 -N.C.

Disclaimer: Nuy Cho has no affiliation to any of the beauty companies mentioned on www.nuybeauty.com.

No comments: