Thursday, January 5, 2012

Us Boys & Girls, We Never Change

As we become adults, do men and women really act any differently?

Over the holidays, I was at a store with my 3.5-year-old daughter and one of her girlfriends, and was struck by an encounter they had with two boys a few years older than them. It started out with my daughter's friend huffily stating to the taller of the two boys that, "You can't come to my house." And then basically what ensued was a duo of girls and boys who at certain moments were sticking their tongues out at each other, proclaiming dislike, which prompted running away, only to minutes later feel the need to come right back and be face to face again, and start all over. Of course, the sticking of tongues and teasing was consistent. But it was so amusing to watch the push and pull cycle in their young play as boys and girls.

As the tickled parents watched and shopped for Christmas gifts, I said, "Does any of this behavior really change as we get older, between men and women?" And one father replied, "No it's all the same. There's just more bullshit later."

I wholeheartedly agree!

-- N.C.

No comments: