Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Dress for Destiny: My Love for Coco Chanel

 Gabrielle Chanel and her friend from her younger days, opera singer Marthe Davelli (left) on a yacht
193, photo Denise Tual in, Chanel and her World by Edmonde Charles-Rou. Fashion Tip: Notice the bold, gold bracelets in triplicate. Simple, minimal but repetitious. The slacks were probably Chanel's most significant contribution to female style in the 20th century. Women were, because of her designs, able to wear pants and be sexy, sophisticated and modern.
My motto: never leave the house without being dressed to impress, because who knows who you might meet -- the President, a rock star, a person that could change your life? I was taught this by my mother, and then my maternal grandmother made sure this was ironed into me -- she was never seen wearing a sneaker in her life despite having fled North Korea during the split! Who knew, one of my most favorite designers of all time had a great quote on this:

"I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny." 

Ahhhh, Gabrielle Chanel. Thank you. :-)

--N.C.


Disclaimer: Nuy Cho has no affiliation to any of the beauty companies mentioned on www.nuybeauty.com.


No comments: